How to cross the border of Republic of Cyprus and Northern Cyprus? In general – very easy, in details – it depends on your means of transportation. We assume that you are interested in going from Republic of Cyprus to Northern Cyprus, because most of visitors stay in southern part and go to the north just for a trip.
If you want to visit Northern Cyprus on foot, you will probably be using the border crossing in Nicosia. The border goes through the city and crossing is located at Ledra street. This crossing is used by both turists and locals but it seems there is a separate window for Cypriots so that masses of tourists did not interrupt their life. Routine is more or less the same as at every other border crossing.
1. Approaching from the Republic of Cyprus we will first encounter their border officers. Here we have to present our passports and after checking it by the officers we can move on.
2. After a few meters we are standing in front of North Cyrpus officers. Here we will need an additional piece of paper – a visa. It’s a form which we have to fill in with our name, nationality and passport number. This visa, when stamped by the officer, has to be kept in our passport until we leave North. It is possible to get the stamp to your passport but it’s not obligatory.
Everything looks similar when crossing the border by rented car. Because many turists go on trips to Northern Cyprus, officers are well prepared and everything goes rather fast.
1. At the booth of Republic of Cyprus we do not even leave the car. Officer picks up and brings the documents to the car. Hand him car papers and passports of all travellers.
2. Moving on to the North Cyprus zone, our first steps we need to direct to the insurance agent. It’s the first window on right hand side. The insurance we got at rental is valid only for the teritory of Republic of Cyprus. This is why we have to buy one for Northern Cyprus – minimum 3 days for 20 euro. To do so we will have to present car documents and passport.
3. For each person in the car we have to fill in the visa form. If we already have one because for example we have crossed the border on foot the other day, we can use it, we just need to fill in plates number of the car. Again – when stamped it will have to be kept in passport until coming back.
4. With filled form, insurance and passports of all people in the car, the driver can go to customs officials. They put an entry stamp on the visa and we are free to go.
Return procedures are almost the same. It is good to know that it is not necessary to use the same crossing to come back as the one we left through. We can use any border crossing either traveing on foot or by car. It’s also important to know that if you rent a car on northern side, you will have to use it there. Taking such car south is not possible.